Search site             Home line  About us line  Contact us line  Ask an expert   line  Forms line  Corporate recovery      

Alger Bankruptcy Services

Same team, new name

Alger & Associates personal bankruptcy services are
now provided by
Grant Thornton Alger Inc.

Receive a callback from one of our bankruptcy trustees


Edmonton, Calgary bankruptcy Q&A forum






My ex told me he filed for bankruptcy a few months ago. He owes me child support in excess of 3 years. With him in bankruptcy, did the arrears for child support get deleted like his other debts? He seems to think so. Does he still owe my child all the money from previous years?



Alger & Associates Inc.



May 16, 2013



Natasha Child support arrears are not discharged/released by bankruptcy. You are also entitled to file a preferred claim for up to 12 months of child support arrears for the period immediately prior to the date of bankruptcy and if there are funds available in the bankruptcy, you would receive a dividend ahead of other unsecured creditors. Please contact your ex spouse's Trustee to obtain a proof of claim so you can claim a dividend if available. Thanks for the question.

Marie Kozlowski
T 403-296-3082


For Alberta Bankruptcy help, call TOLL FREE from anywhere in Alberta: 310-8888
We're here until 9 PM weekdays and 9 AM to 4 PM on Saturday to take your call



All locations

© 2011 Grant Thornton Alger Inc. • All rights reserved

back to Bankruptcy Alberta home

Confidential callback from a bankruptcy professional

Please call me

As soon as possible
Today at
Next business day at

My Phone # 


Ask for