Search site             Home line  About us line  Contact us line  Ask an expert   line  Forms line  Corporate recovery      

Alger Bankruptcy Services

Same team, new name

Alger & Associates personal bankruptcy services are
now provided by
Grant Thornton Limited

Receive a callback from one of our bankruptcy and debt help experts


Edmonton, Calgary bankruptcy Q&A forum



I have a judgement against me from an out standing Credit card debt, I was not present during the hearing it was filed in my absence, i recently had my bank account frozen and the money in my account taken (there was only $20) the only source of income I have currently is govet issued Checks for my child tax benefits. and now that my account is frozen and i cannot cancel it or withdraw my child benefits from it, i have canceled my automatic deposit starting next month i will be getting my child care benefits by mail but this month was to late and now the money had been deposited in my account and is ]waiting to be taken? i can see the money but i cant withdraw it, is there anything i can do to get my child benefits out of my account? furthermore can they actually take my child care benefits? is that not exempt? Thank you for your help time and consideration in this matter any help would be appreciated



Grant Thornton Limited



Jun 27, 2014



Justin Child tax benefit is considered to be income for the purposes of a bankruptcy. You can make an argument that the funds are exempt in that they are for the children however that would be an argument to direct to the Garnisheeing creditor and see if they agree.

Marie Kozlowski
T 403-296-3082


For Alberta Bankruptcy help, call TOLL FREE from anywhere in Alberta: 310-8888
We're here until 9 PM weekdays and 9 AM to 4 PM on Saturday to take your call



All locations

© 2017 Grant Thornton Limited, Licensed Insolvency Trustees. All rights reserved.

back to Bankruptcy Alberta home

Confidential callback from a bankruptcy professional

Please call me

As soon as possible
Today at
Next business day at

My Phone # 


Ask for