Search site             Home line  About us line  Contact us line  Ask an expert   line  Forms line  Corporate recovery      

Same team, new name

Alger & Associates personal bankruptcy services are
now provided by
Grant Thornton Limited

Receive a callback from one of our bankruptcy and debt help experts


Alberta bankruptcy Q&A forum



Moved to Alberta one year ago for work . Have changed over all my ID , etc to Ab .( previously MB ) . Currently have a RRIF type investment , left from previous pension. Was locked in + protected in Mb ...but it appears as though it is not protected under AB . law ?? Can that be used to pay down debts? Or signed over to a TRUSTEE should I decide on the bankruptcy option ? would prefer to avoid bankruptcy , if at all possible . Investment value is about $40000 , while debt is around $60000 total . Working full time, but have health problems ...ongoing .



Grant Thornton Limited



Oct 29, 2014



Hi The LIRA is exempt both federally and in Alberta, you can retain this asset if you file either a Consumer Proposal or a Bankruptcy assignment. Please give me a call or email me at and I would be happy to arrange a free consultation to discuss your options. Thanks for the question

Marie Kozlowski
T 403-296-3082


For Alberta Bankruptcy help, call TOLL FREE from anywhere in Alberta: 310-8888
We're here until 9 PM weekdays and 9 AM to 4 PM on Saturday to take your call



All locations


© 2011 Grant Thornton Limited • All rights reserved

back to Bankruptcy Alberta home

Confidential callback from a bankruptcy professional

Please call me

As soon as possible
Today at
Next business day at

My Phone # 


Ask for