Search site             Home line  About us line  Contact us line  Ask an expert   line  Forms line  Corporate recovery      

Same team, new name

Alger & Associates personal bankruptcy services are
now provided by
Grant Thornton Limited

Receive a callback from one of our bankruptcy and debt help experts


Bankruptcy Calgary Edmonton Q&A Forum



Hi, myself and my ex might have a problem to do with my unpaid personal taxes from some time ago (2003 to 2007) and what the cra is calling a section 160 to do with a transfer of a house in Calgary. My question is, would my declaring personal backruptcy eliminate this issue?



Grant Thornton Limited



Apr 27, 2015



Hi Rob, You filing for personal bankruptcy will eliminate your tax debt; however, section 160 of the Income Tax Act allows Canada Revenue Agency to recover an amount, which represents your interest in house that was transferred, from you and your ex spouse. She may now be liable for a portion of your tax debt outstanding up to the value of your interest in the house transferred. Should you have any other concerns please do not hesitate to contact our office.

Susan Methuen
T 403-310-8888


For Alberta Bankruptcy help, call TOLL FREE from anywhere in Alberta: 310-8888
We're here until 9 PM weekdays and 9 AM to 4 PM on Saturday to take your call



All locations


© 2011 Grant Thornton Limited • All rights reserved

back to Bankruptcy Alberta home

Confidential callback from a bankruptcy professional

Please call me

As soon as possible
Today at
Next business day at

My Phone # 


Ask for