Search site             Home line  About us line  Contact us line  Ask an expert   line  Forms line  Corporate recovery      

bankruptcy trustee

Same team, new name

Alger & Associates personal bankruptcy services are
now provided by
Grant Thornton Limited

Receive a callback from one of our bankruptcy and debt help experts


Alberta bankruptcy Q&A forum



Good Afternoon, I was divorced in 2010, however a property settlement has not been done yet. I have exclusive possession of the Matrimonial home and have made all payments to credit line and mortgage since 2008. What happens if I declare bankruptcy? Can my ex take my home? Thank you



Grant Thornton Limited



Jan 07, 2016



Jodi, When you file for bankruptcy the Trustee must review the equity available in the property. If the property in located in Alberta and there is less then $40,000 equity then you and your ex spouse will need to review the entitlement with the property settlements. The Trustee in bankruptcy will not get involved if you are living in the home. If there is more then $40,000 equity in the home then the Trustee will discuss with you options to deal with the equity before you file a bankruptcy. This eliminates the guess what for you. If you would like to discuss in detail please contact our office for a no charge consultation.

Susan Methuen
T 403-310-8888


For debt help and bankruptcy in Calgary, Edmonton, and throughout Alberta, call TOLL FREE from anywhere in Alberta: 310-8888
We're here until 9 PM weekdays and 9 AM to 4 PM on Saturday to take your call



All locations

© 2011 Grant Thornton Limited • All rights reserved

back to Bankruptcy Alberta home

Confidential callback from a bankruptcy professional

Please call me

As soon as possible
Today at
Next business day at

My Phone # 


Ask for