Search site             Home line  About us line  Contact us line  Ask an expert   line  Forms line  Corporate recovery      

bankruptcy trustee

Same team, new name

Alger & Associates personal bankruptcy services are
now provided by
Grant Thornton Limited

Receive a callback from one of our bankruptcy and debt help experts


Alberta bankruptcy Q&A forum



Hi I've been in bankruptcy for over 5 years now it was my first time and due to a divorce. I still owe over 10000 in excess income received in the 2 year bankruptcy term. The trustee now wishes to close the file as I am having trouble paying this off. Note I also pay child support for 2 kids. I'm wondering what to do as I have nothing left from my paycheques after paying all this. Please help. Thanks



Grant Thornton Limited



Apr 19, 2016



Hi Richard, Surplus income is calculated pursuant to the Bankruptcy Act and is required to be paid for the benefit of the unsecured creditors. I suggest that you discuss your circumstance with your Trustee to see if there is anything that they can offer. Typically, the Trustee will keep the bankruptcy estate open if you are making regular payments. Trustees are required to review the long administrative bankruptcies on a regular basis to ensure that we don't keep all files open for a unreasonable amount of time.

Susan Methuen
T 403-310-8888


For debt help and bankruptcy in Calgary, Edmonton, and throughout Alberta, call TOLL FREE from anywhere in Alberta: 310-8888
We're here until 9 PM weekdays and 9 AM to 4 PM on Saturday to take your call



All locations

© 2011 Grant Thornton Limited • All rights reserved

back to Bankruptcy Alberta home

Confidential callback from a bankruptcy professional

Please call me

As soon as possible
Today at
Next business day at

My Phone # 


Ask for