Search site             Home line  About us line  Contact us line  Ask an expert   line  Forms line  Corporate recovery      

bankruptcy trustee

Same team, new name

Alger & Associates personal bankruptcy services are
now provided by
Grant Thornton Limited

Receive a callback from one of our bankruptcy trustees


Calgary bankruptcy Q&A forum



My x husband has recently filed for bankruptcy and now maintenance enforcement is saying there is not much they can to to collect child support until he is discharged. How do I continue to collect child support? I have read online I can submit a claim as a creditor for his arrears for the last 12 months. How do I do this? Thank you



Grant Thornton Limited



May 02, 2016



Hi LuCynda, I believe that Maintenance Enforcement can continue to collect on-going child support but cannot collect child support that was in arrears. You or Maintenance Enforcement will need to file a proof of claim in the bankruptcy estate. Once the bankruptcy is preparing to close the file then you may recover some of the arrears outstanding at the time of bankruptcy. Contact Maintenance Enforcement to confirm who will be filing the arrears. If it is your responsibility then contact the Trustee and they will send you a copy of the bankruptcy documents. Hope that answers your concern.

Susan Methuen
T 403-310-8888


For debt help and bankruptcy in Calgary, Edmonton, and throughout Alberta, call TOLL FREE from anywhere in Alberta: 310-8888

We're here to take your call!
In person:
Mon to Fri: 8am-4:30pm.
Over the phone: Mon to Fri: 7am-5pm, Sat & Sun: 9am-3pm



All locations

© 2011 Grant Thornton Limited • All rights reserved

back to Bankruptcy Alberta home

Confidential callback from a bankruptcy professional

Please call me

As soon as possible
Today at
Next business day at

My Phone # 


Ask for