Search site             Home line  About us line  Contact us line  Ask an expert   line  Forms line  Corporate recovery      

Expert advice

Call us toll free in Alberta at 310-8888 or email us at for a free, no obligation, confidential consultation. We'll review all debt solutions, not just bankruptcy.

Receive a callback from one of our bankruptcy and debt help experts


Calgary, Edmonton bankruptcy Q&A forum



My friend did a consumer proposal 5 years ago when her and her husband separated and he let everything go into default. She was given 4 years to pay it off, but actually paid it off in 14 months. That was in 2014. How can she rebuild credit after something like that and how long does it take. She can't even get a credit card at this point to try and rebuild credit.



Grant Thornton Limited



May 03, 2017



Hello, A secured credit card is a great way to rebuild credit. A deposit is required if credit is extended but the use and payments are reported on your credit report to reflect the efforts of re-establishing. The challenges are not many banks offer secured credit cards and it is the discretion of the banks to qualify you like other credit cards. Hope that helps.

Susan Methuen
T 403-310-8888


For debt help and bankruptcy in Calgary, Edmonton, and throughout Alberta, call TOLL FREE from anywhere in Alberta: 310-8888

We're here to take your call!
In person Mon to Fri: 8am-4:30pm.
Over the phone Mon to Fri: 7am-5pm, Sat & Sun: 9am-3pm



All locations

© 2011 Grant Thornton Limited • All rights reserved

back to Bankruptcy Alberta home

Confidential callback from a bankruptcy professional

Please call me

As soon as possible
Today at
Next business day at

My Phone # 


Ask for