Search site             Home   About us   Contact us   Ask an expert     Forms   Corporate recovery      

Expert advice

Call us toll free in Alberta at 310-8888 or email us at for a free, no obligation, confidential consultation. We'll review all debt solutions, not just bankruptcy.

Receive a callback from one of our bankruptcy and debt help experts


Alberta bankruptcy Q&A forum



If my house is sold in foreclosure and there is a small sum paid into the courts, am I able to claim that money? I just realized my bankruptcy from 7 years ago was not discharged and the file was closed by the trustee. The house was only in my spouses name, but the court order is in both our names



Grant Thornton Limited



Feb 12, 2018



Hello, If you and your spouse were living in the house at the time of the bankruptcy then the net proceeds may be protected in bankruptcy. If the house has been sold in foreclosure, you would need to make a Court application to claim the funds. If you were to complete your bankruptcy then you can review with your Trustee. Hope that answers your concern.

Susan Methuen
T 403-310-8888


For debt help and bankruptcy in Calgary, Edmonton, and throughout Alberta, call TOLL FREE from anywhere in Alberta: 310-8888

We're here to take your call!
In person Mon to Fri: 8am-4:30pm.
Over the phone Mon to Fri: 7am-5pm, Sat & Sun: 9am-3pm



All locations

© 2017 Grant Thornton Limited, Licensed Insolvency Trustees. All rights reserved.

back to Bankruptcy Alberta home

Confidential callback from a bankruptcy professional

Please call me

As soon as possible
Today at
Next business day at

My Phone # 


Ask for